it’s the little things
Several months ago my friend Katie blogged about the things that make her happy. She wasn’t talking about those generic answers we give: family, friends, etc. She meant those little things that bring us joy that we often forget about in the hustle and bustle of living. If I’ve learned anything from my experiences with loss and depression, it’s that life is in the little things! Traveling this planet isn’t easy. Every day brings us millions of (valid) reasons to throw our hands up and declare that all hope is lost.
That’s where these small pleasures come in. When the world seems to be falling apart, we can still indulge in a Reese’s Cup or a Neflix marathon, and suddenly not everything is so terrible after all. Little things make life more manageable.
The little things that make me happy
- 2 Chainz. If you know me in real life, this isn’t at all shocking. You may even be thinking that my obsession is unhealthy. No matter. I won’t stop until we are besties!
- Mornings. I get that we are all supposed to hate mornings, but I just don’t. Mornings are when I feel my best. I love drinking my coffee in a dark, quiet house.
- Whole Foods. Basic? Probably, but I could legitimately walk around Whole Foods all day. They have free samples and beer. WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE? (prices notwithstanding)
- Chips & Salsa. This has to be on everyone’s list, right?
- Dance parties with my four-year-old. He picks the music, and we all go crazy. (His music tastes are not as good as mine, unfortunately.)
- Cookies. Chocolate chip, peanut butter, iced oatmeal. If I had to choose only one dessert to eat for the rest of my life, it would be cookies. No contest.
- Alone time. This rarely happens but when it does, I’m instantly recharged. I think this is part of the reason I started liking the gym. It’s an hour where I can focus on me and not talk to anyone.
- Rap music. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea (which I think is crazy town), but I love it so much! Not to mention, when was the last time a Garth Brooks song made you feel like you could win a fight?
- My little baby’s sweet laugh. He’s so quick to laugh and laughs from his belly, and it’s such a precious sound!
- Bright colors. “But black is so chic!” Yeah, I don’t care. It’s also boring. Give me an obnoxious, bright jewel-tone any day.
- Pretty much everything about my husband. Specifically, that booty.
- Hot showers or baths. As hot as I can possibly get it. Just shy of a serious burn.
the bright side
I’m a cynic. As far as I can tell I was born this way, and while I may never completely change, I’m working on seeing the brighter side of life. I’m doing my best to practice gratitude, especially for the often forgotten small pockets of joy. It’s not always easy, because my natural reaction to a single bad event is to swear the day (or week or month) is ruined. I’m really committed to this self-improvement thing, though, so I’m accepting the challenge. Even if it requires a bit of optimism on my part.
I want to know: What are some of your simple pleasures?